Resolving Difficulties

Occasionally, you may have a query or a concern and will want to speak to someone. In most instances, your child's teacher should be your first port of call - you can ask to make an appointment with them when you see them at drop off or collection, or you could call the office to make an appointment. 

If further discussion is needed, you should speak to a senior member of staff. We are available at the start and end of the day or, again, you can make an appointment through the office. 

We try our best to resolve all problems as quickly as possible. However, if you are still not satisfied, the school has a complaints procedure. A copy is available from the Policies page.